Students should contact the Admissions office at email@example.com or 787-743-3038 ext 236 or 214 to inquire about transfer vacancies
Admission Requirements for Third Clinical Year
The San Juan Bautista School of Medicine can activate and admit transfers students into the third year class only when vacancies are available.The number of transfers are limited by the number of spaces available in the class and strictly regulated by an Ad-Hoc Committee comprised by the chair of the Student & Promotion Committee, Academic Dean, the registrar, Associate Dean for Clinical Sciences and Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Transfer applications are not accepted if it has been determined by the deans and registrar that there are no transfer positions available for that year.
- Students who have attended an LCME-accredited medical school or international students with a passing score in the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 are eligible to file application for admission. Preference is given to academically qualified U.S. citizens who present a compelling personal or family-related need to transfer. (Preference is given to academically qualified U.S. citizens who present a compelling personal or family-related need to transfer.)
- Applications must be submitted starting from January until May 1 of the desired year of admission.
- Applicants must meet all of the current first year entrance requirements and must present undergraduate credentials comparable to those of students in the third year class into which they are attempting to transfer.
The school does not admit students with advanced standing based on course work completed in foreign medical schools or in programs that lead to other professional or academic credentials such as DMD, DDS, DO, DVM, or PhD degrees.
Once spaces for transfer are available, The Admissions Committee will proceed to the evaluation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Sciences or pre-medical studies, or its equivalent, approved by the applicant with a minimum general grade point average of 3.00, based on an A=4.00 (The same coursework required for admission to [first year]() also applies for third year candidates).
- Have completed their first two years of Biomedical Sciences with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.00.
- Have a passing Step 1 score of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) equal to or greater than 200.
- Must be currently enrolled and in good standing at their present medical school. (No student can be considered who is not eligible for promotion at the time of transfer.)
- Must have proficiency in English and Spanish.
Potential candidates need to complete and submit the following documents
- Complete the Application Form
- A non-refundable certified check or money order of $100.00 payable to SJBSM
- Official transcript sent directly to the SJBSM from the medical school where the candidate completed the first two years of Biomedical Sciences
- Official transcripts sent directly to the SJBSM from each undergraduate university attended
- Official certification sent directly by the NBME to the SJBSM of the USLME Step 1 score
- Dean’s letter which must certify the applicant’s current academic status
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty of the medical school attended
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a community leader
- A letter indicating his/her interest to be considered for admission to SJBSM
- Criminal history reports sent directly to the school from both the official place of residence and the applicant’s current medical school location (if they are not the same)
The deadline to submit documents is May 1st
Applicant’s evaluation and selection process follows the same steps established for the selection of first year students, plus an additional evaluation using the criteria for student's promotion from second to third year of medical studies. Indicators that are reviewed are the passing score on USMLE Step 1, followed by a comparative analysis between the SJBSM curriculum and courses taken during the first and second year of medical studies, and the GPA in both first and second year of medical studies. Admission criteria also includes availability of space in the third year class.
Once admission is granted, the applicant must reserve their seat within ten (10) calendar days with a money order for the amount of $100.00 dollars (not refundable) payable to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine. This amount will be credited towards tuition if admitted.
The following documents are required upon acceptance
- CPR certificate
- Health Certificate
- Physician’s Report
- Immunization Certificate (PVCA-3 form) including (Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Meningitis, Influenza and Chicken-pox Vaccines or release of responsibility)
- One (1) 2 x 2 photo
- Notirized Birth Certificate and/or valid passport
- Evidence of Disenrollment (certificate or letter) stating that the applicant is no longer registered at any other medical school
- Certificate of no penal record from the state of legal residence and from where the applicant is currently studying