The SJBSM accepts students to the third year of medical studies. Applicants must have completed the first two years of Biomedical Sciences at a medical school that complies with the requirements established by the LCME. Applicants must fulfill all admission requirements, including being in good academic standing (GPAs of 2.75 out of 4.0;) in both undergraduate studies and the first two years of medical school; evidence of passing score for USMLE Step 1; and a Dean’s letter.
Additionally, proficiency in both English and Spanish languages is required.
Potential candidates need to complete and submit the following documents:
- Application Form
- A non-refundable certified check or money order of $100.00 payable to SJBSM
- Official transcript sent directly to the SJBSM from the medical school where the candidate completed the first two years of Biomedical Sciences
- Official transcripts sent directly to the SJBSM from each undergraduate university attended
- Official certification sent directly by the NBME to the SJBSM of the USLME Step 1 score
- Dean’s letter which must certify the applicant’s current academic status
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty of the medical school attended.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a community leader
- A letter indicating his/her interest to be considered for admission to SJBSM
- Criminal history reports sent directly to the school from both the official place of residence and the applicant’s current medical school location (if they are not the same)
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS : May 1st
Applicant’s evaluation and selection process follows the same steps established for selection of first year students, plus an additional evaluation using the criteria for student's promotion from second to third year of medical studies.
The first indicator that is reviewed is the passing score on USMLE Step 1, followed by a comparative analysis between the SJBSM curriculum and courses taken during the first and second year of medical studies, and the GPA in both first and second year of medical studies. Admission criteria also include availability of space in the third year class.
Once admission to the third year is granted, the applicant must reserve his/her seat within ten (10) calendar days by submitting a money order or certified check in the amount of $100.00 dollars (not refundable) payable to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine. This amount will be credited towards tuition if admitted.
Upon Acceptance, the applicant must submit the following documents:
- CPR certificate
- Health Certificate
- Physician’s Report
- Criminal background check
- Immunization Certificate including (Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Meningitis, Influenza and Chicken-pox Vaccines or release of responsibility).
- One (1) 2 x 2 photo.
- Notarized Original Birth Certificate and/or valid passport
- Official letter or certificate stating that the applicant is no longer registered at any other medical school