Admission Requirements for First Year Class:
Applicants must comply with, among other requirements, those established by the Puerto Rico Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline and its regulations. Bachelors’ Degree in Science (preferred) with the required Pre-Medical coursework credits completed at a college level institution accredited by the Council of Higher Education of PR or by a US accrediting organization with a minimum Science and General GPA of 2.75 (on a four point scale) as calculated by AMCAS.
|Organic Chemistry I and II with labs||8|
|General or Inorganic Chemistry I and II with labs||8|
|General Biology I and II with labs||8|
|General Physics I and II with labs||8|
|Behavioral/Social Sciences courses such as anthropology, economics, psychology, sociology and political sciences||6|
|These can be in natural, behavioral, or social sciences||28|
* For the English requirement, classes from other departments described as “intensive writing” may be considered as substitute.
In addition to the above requirements, coursework in cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, human biology and humanities are highly recommended.
Candidates must be able to read, write, speak and understand in both English and Spanish.
To initiate the admission process an applicant must submit the following documents:
- Application through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) a centralized application service for applicants to first year classes at participating U.S. medical schools, at www.aamc.org/students/amcas/start.htm. The complete application must be processed by AMCAS between June 1st and before December 15th of the year prior to admission. We urge candidates to submit the AMCAS Web application with enough time in order to be considered before December 15th. "Notice for undergraduate students: The deadline for applications through AMCAS to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine has been extended to January 15, 2018" Our institution does not require a secondary application.
- Non-refundable certified check or money order for the amount of $100.00 payable to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate), in addition to those provided to AMCAS.
- Official results of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) minimum score of 20 in the old MCAT and in the new MCAT version is 492. The test must not be older than 3 years. For more information regarding the MCAT you can access www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from science professors sent via the AMCAS Letter Service.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a community leader specifying any community and/or volunteer work sent via the AMCAS Letter Service.
Note: If you have a graduate degree or a significant full –time work experience of a year or more, you are also required to send a letter from the person who supervised you.
** The letters of recommendation are narrative letters. These must be printed on the official institutional paper with the appropriate letterhead and signature. We accept individual letters, letter packets, committee letters and interfolio. **
The mailing address is:
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
PO BOX 4968
Caguas, PR 00726-4968